Posted on May 14 at 16:17 PM. Last edited on Jul 02 at 15:29 PM
The 253 ft tower was originally commissioned as a chimney for the local dye works by John Edward Wainhouse in the late 19th century. Work commenced in 1871, with plans developed by Isaac Booth. Following a dispute with Wainhouse, Isaac Booth left the project and Richard Dugdale was appointed to take his place. Dugdale was responsible for the upper section of the tower with its balcony and elaborate lantern dome. It was completed on 9th September 1875.
The structure was never actually used as a working chimney and as such, has been regarded by many as one of Britain’s finest follies.
Open between 11 am and 4 pm (last ascent 3.30 pm)
Under 16s: £1.50
Family Ticket £6
Private ascents for up to 1 hour with a maximum of 40 people £65+VAT
Is our info correct? If not please let us know.